A2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

canning potatoes

Go down

canning potatoes Empty canning potatoes

Post by ljohnson Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:08 am

When we go camping, we like to eat potatoes for breakfast, but it takes some time to fix them. So, this year, I bought a 50 lb bag and started to can them.

It is very easy and they are very good used as fried potatoes and for stew as well as mashed and in salads etc.

You first have to peel the potatoes and then dice to the size you want. I cut mine in quarters and then again in half. I then put them in some cold water to rinse with about a tsp of fresh fruit and you can keep them overnight in the refrigerator without them turning if you don't have enough time to get them canned right away.

Then just blanche your potatoes in hot boiling water until good and hot, but not done, then put in ice water. You save your water that you boiled them in. Place the potatoes in the jars with a tsp of salt and a pinch of fruit fresh and add the boiling water to the jar to fill it up to the rim.

Place the seals on the jars and put in your pressure cooker. You have some very nice jars and they can be stored in the camper until you are ready to go. You don't have to worry about them taking root.

We are anxious to try them when we go camping and have some beef stew over the campfire.

ljohnson

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum